Friday, February 11, 2022

Watch your print orientation to save some time

For an index to all my stories click this text.

I was working on a project that needed a frame to hold a servo. A prototype of the frame was made in cardboard. And then I drew the frame in Tinkercad and imported it into my slicer for 3D printing.


 

The slicer indicated that it would take 5 hours and 48 minutes to print the design. Well as it is a hobby I do not care too much about time. And besides that, I can do other things while the printer is busy.

Then I decided to rotate the frame so that it would lay on its back. And guess what.....the print time reduced with about an hour !!! The print would take now 4 hours 59 minutes.

Like said I do not care too much for print time, however I do not like to leave my printer unattended. There are a few stories around about a 3D printer cathing a fire. So I am cautious.

Just be aware that changing the print orientation might influence the strength of your print. So this will not work out well for every print. But in this case it did not matter.

So experiment with your print orientation and you might save some time.

And remember that if your print is to big for your printbed, or takes too long to print in one day you can always cut it up in several parts:
http://lucstechblog.blogspot.com/2015/03/cutting-up-designs-in-tinkercad-in-my.html

Till next time.
Have fun

Luc Volders