Friday, July 7, 2023

Watch out with copper-tape

For an index to all my stories click this text

For a project I needed a pushbutton. Pushbuttons are widely available but I needed a bigger one. So I decided to build it myself. I found a suitable design on the internet and that was build with copper-tape.  Luckily I found a good source for coppertape : http://lucstechblog.blogspot.com/2023/06/copper-tape-easy-obtainable.html So I started building a prototype with some coppertape I had bought previously. And guess what: it did not work !!!

When things don't work as expected the solution is: experiment and test.



I put some copper tape on a piece of paper. Made a crossing and attached a led (with a currect delimiting resistor) to some batteries. And the led stayed off. There was my problem manifesting.


When the connetors where attached to the second crossing the led went on !!!



Where's the difference.
Well in the lower crossing I rubbed the copper tape firm at the crossing. In the upper crossing I just put it on the paper. So the glue in the lower crossing spread out and worked as an insulator and no current was flowing. In the upper crossing the glue was loosely attached to the crossing and then the current can flow and the led goes on.



I tested the same setup with my new bought copper tape and that did not have the problem. No matter how hard I pressed the tape at the crossing the current kept flowing.

Problem solved !

The moral of the story is therefore test, test, test before you make a project permanent. And not all coppertapes are equal.

And the button ??? Well that is finished and will be featured in another story soon.

Till next time.

Have fun

Luc