Friday, October 26, 2018

Raspberry Cookbook

February 2015 I wrote that I purchased a book which made me very happy: the Arduino Cookbook from O'Reilly. http://lucstechblog.blogspot.com/2015/02/the-bible-arrived-i-have-been-looking.html




Well recently a bought another book from O'Reilly publishers that made me equally happy. And this is also from the cookbook series being the Raspberry Cookbook.

I am aware that the Raspberry Pi in all its variations is basically a Linux computer and that it is impossible to describe in detail all things you can do with a Linux machine. The author however manages to cover (in detail) many aspects of this popular micro computer.

The book starts with the process of installing the operating system, then covers the Linux commands you probably will use most. It descibes how to use these commands from the command line and also covers how to use most aspects from the Graphical User Interface.

Next the Python language is covered. Python is important because it is flexible, free, included with the Raspberry operating system and can be used for almost any Raspberry project you want to realise.

The book goes on with briefly describing some programs you can use for image manipulation (Gimp), Office programs, Media player software, Retro computing emulators and packages like OpenCV which is used for objects and person recognition.

It even describes building an internet radio although it uses a different approach from what I did: http://lucstechblog.blogspot.com/2018/09/raspberry-internet-radio-part-1.html

After that the (for me) most interesting part comes: interfacing the Raspberry Pi's with all, kinds of sensors. And lastly building webpages (with Bottle) that will show your sensor readings to the world.

At this moment I already have several Raspberry Pi's fully oprational in my home working as:
- a media centre (playing movies and series on my TV)
- a printer server (making possible that anyone in my house can print from any location)
- controller for my 3D printer
- Domoticz home automation system
- Internet radio

Nevertheless I learned a lot from this book and I am really glad I bought it.

And yes I know that you can find anything you need on the internet. And yes I am even aware that you can download this book as a PDF from the internet. However buying a book now and then stimulates the writers to write more interesting books and stimulates publishers to keep publishing interesting stuff for us. Besides that I prefer holding a real book in my hands over reading on a screen.

So if you are interested in starting projects with a Raspberry Pi do yourself a favor and spend a little money on this book. It is not expensive (I paid 26 euro) and packs a ton of information.


Maybe an idea for a Christmas present.....
Highly recommended !!

Till next time.
Have fun

Luc Volders