Friday, March 20, 2020

Piezo becomes buzzer

For an index to all my stories click this text

I was experimenting with making some sound and noises with the ESP32.




To get some sound of the ESP32 there are two options. You can use an amplifier with a speaker or a Piezo Buzzer. I attached a Piezo Buzzer which worked just fine.




Few years ago I purchased some Piezo's to be used as a sensor. I started wondering what would happen if I attached one of these instead of a buzzer. I did and nothing happened. No sound came from the bare Piezo.

Then I put it out of the way on a plastic box with the wires still attached and suddenly I heard a sound. I moved the Piezo a bit around and the sound got better.

Obviously the difference between the bare Piezo and the buzzer was the housing. That started me wondering. There is a distinct price difference between the two. The buzzer is much more expensive as the bare Piezo. So how about building my own casing.


I sat behind my computer and designed a casing in Tinkercad. It consists of 2 parts.


The bottom which has a small opening at its side to let the wires out.


And a lid with a small hole so the sound can get out.




And here is the end result.

If you want to print them yourself. Just download the STL files from my Github repositry and go ahead.


https://github.com/Lucvolders/Piezohousing

Have fun and keep safe

Luc Volders